The 20 Best Elk Hunting Rifles Ever Made
- Browning BLR Lightweight. BROWNING BLR LIGHTWEIGHT ’81.
- Kimber Model 84M Classic. Kimber Model 84M Classic Kimber.
- Ruger No. 1-S Medium Sporter.
- Marlin Model 338 MXLR. Marlin Model 338 MXLR Marlin.
- Remington Model 673 Guide Rifle.
- Ruger Compact Magnum.
- 7..444 Marlin.
- Ruger No.
- 1 What is a good all around hunting rifle for deer and elk?
- 2 Is a.270 big enough for elk?
- 3 What is the best caliber for elk moose and bear?
- 4 Can you use a 270 for elk?
- 5 Is a 308 a good elk rifle?
- 6 What is best rifle caliber for elk?
- 7 Whats better 308 or 30 06?
- 8 What is the recommended caliber for elk?
- 9 Is.270 the same as 30 06?
- 10 Which is better 7mm-08 or 270?
- 11 Is 165 grain enough for elk?
- 12 What is the best.308 round for elk?
- 13 Is a 7mm Mag good for elk hunting?
- 14 What caliber does Steve Rinella use?
What is a good all around hunting rifle for deer and elk?
270 Winchester,. 270 Weatherby Magnum,. 280 Remington, 7mm Remington Magnum, 7mm Weatherby Magnum, 7mm STW, 7mm Remington Ultra Mag. These are all great mule deer cartridges, and all can certainly do a good job on elk as well.
Is a.270 big enough for elk?
270, especially when mated with the tough, deep-penetrating, weight-retaining bullets we have today, is not a “big gun” on elk, but is adequate for any elk that walks, with careful shot placement.
What is the best caliber for elk moose and bear?
The Best Ammo for Elk and Moose Hunting
- 10 |. 375 Ruger.
- 1 | 6.5 Creedmoor. This is the “new kid on the block.” Born in 2007, it isn’t an old ammo option.
- 2 |. 270 Win.
- 3 |. 280 Rem.
- 4 | 7mm-08 Rem. This caliber was introduced approximately 40 years ago.
- 5 |. 308 Win.
- 6 |. 30-06 SPRG.
- 7 |. 300 Win Mag.
Can you use a 270 for elk?
Also, a powerful cartridge gives you more options on which shots you can take. 270 Winchester will kill an elk with a perfect broadside shot. But if you have a quartering shot a. 338 Winchester will penetrate a lot deeper and break more bones.
Is a 308 a good elk rifle?
308 Winchester is a good caliber for hunting deer, pronghorn, elk, moose and bear. Proponents of the. 308 Winchester will usually tell stories of how well the caliber does as a sniper rifle out to 700 yards and sometimes beyond.
What is best rifle caliber for elk?
Top 10 Elk Cartridges of All Time
- 1.. 243 Winchester.
- 6.5 Creedmoor. Introduced by Hornady in 2007, the 6.5 Creedmoor is easily the hottest-selling rifle cartridge on the market today.
- 3.. 300 Winchester Magnum.
- 4.. 30-06 Springfield.
- 5.. 308 Winchester.
- 6.. 280 Ackley Improved.
- 7.. 280 Remington.
- 8.. 270 Winchester.
Whats better 308 or 30 06?
30-06 does have a definite velocity advantage, bettering the. 308’s velocity by about 100-125 fps. 30-06 as the better choice for its velocity advantage, yet the precision shooting crowd routinely depends on the. 308 Winchester as a 1,000-yard cartridge, and few are taking the Springfield out that far anymore.
What is the recommended caliber for elk?
Want the ideal elk cartridge? Look to something that fires a 7mm or bigger heavy-for-caliber projectile at around 3,000 fps. Best bullets are the 7mm 155- to 175-grainers, and the. 30-caliber 180- to 200-grainers.
Is.270 the same as 30 06?
270 Winchester has a slightly longer case length (2.54″ vs 2.494″), but the two cartridges are identical up to the shoulder. 30-06 Springfield have the same maximum overall length of 3.34″, both cartridges are used in long-action rifles. Due to the fact that the. 270 Winchester basically just uses a necked down.
Which is better 7mm-08 or 270?
The 7mm-08 wins the lightest recoil title here. In a 7-pound rifle it will recoil with a velocity of 13.57 fps and energy of 20.04 f-p. The 270 will kick at 15.1 fps with 24.81 f-p. If you can detect these differences, you’re more sensitive than I, especially with a buck in your sights.
Is 165 grain enough for elk?
165 gr is just fine. I’ve taken many elk, moose and a cow bison with 165-168 gr bonded bullets in my 300wsm. Good luck on your hunt.
What is the best.308 round for elk?
The Federal. 308 Winchester load using 180gr Nosler Partition I previously mentioned is my #1 recommendation for elk and moose. However, Remington Core Lokt will absolutely work in that role and lots of elk and moose hunters use this ammunition successfully each year, especially on immature bulls or cow elk.
Is a 7mm Mag good for elk hunting?
Hunters using lightweight 140gr bullets designed for deer hunting may still experience issues with poor penetration today, but the 7mm Remington Magnum is absolutely deadly on elk when using premium quality 160-175gr bullets.
What caliber does Steve Rinella use?
Chambered in. 270 WSM this rifle was described as a lightweight mountain rifle. Using a left handed Winchester model 70 action, Steve paired it with a 4-16 x 50mm Vortex optic.