In most states, choices for method of take for turkeys are shotgun, muzzleloader or bow. Thanks to modern turkey loads and turkey chokes, both 12 and 20 gauge do a good job at taking down a turkey. With Federal Premium Ammunition’s TSS turkey loads, even. 410 shotguns are viable turkey guns.
- 1 What shot do you use for turkey hunting?
- 2 What size shot is best for turkey hunting?
- 3 What is the best bait for turkeys?
- 4 What can you legally hunt turkey with?
- 5 Is 4 or 5 shot better for Turkey?
- 6 What is #2 shot used for?
- 7 What is a good turkey load?
- 8 What can I put out to attract turkeys?
- 9 What can I feed wild turkeys in my yard?
- 10 How can I bait turkeys?
- 11 Can you shoot turkey with a 22?
- 12 Can you hunt turkey with an air rifle?
- 13 Can you hunt turkey with muzzleloader?
What shot do you use for turkey hunting?
Many hunters favor size 6 shot. If your gun does not pattern tightly, using 6 makes sense out to 35, maybe 40 yards. I patterned both lead 6s and heavy-shot 6s to see what really was taking place. Out to 40 yards, the 6s really threw a great pattern, providing many vital head and neck hits.
What size shot is best for turkey hunting?
Some believe the weight and size of large #4 pellets provides more killing power, while others feel because there are more pellets in a load of smaller #6 that more of those pellets will end up in a turkey’s neck and head. A good compromise is #5 copper-plated lead pellets loaded in a 12-gauge 3-inch magnum shot shell.
What is the best bait for turkeys?
Since wild turkeys are a ground-feeding type, sprinkling cracked corn in an open area of dirt is a sufficient way to attract them. Seeds- Another easily attainable food source, seeds provide even more nutrition for wild turkeys. Mixing seeds and cracked corn makes a great spread out meal.
What can you legally hunt turkey with?
Legal methods of take include shotgun, archery equipment, or air rifle. Seasons and other hunting regulations are available from CDFW offices and online.
Is 4 or 5 shot better for Turkey?
4 shot, with more than enough energy at then-accepted turkey killing ranges of 40 yards or less can glance off bone. Bourjaily goes on to write, “as a rule of thumb, lead 6s are reliable to 35 yards, lead 5s to 45.
What is #2 shot used for?
With a smaller pellet diameter than all other sizes of buckshot, #2 shot grants you a larger number of pellets per shot. But even though #2 shot is a versatile ammo choice, it isn’t ideal for use when hunting deer, moose, bear or other large game. Most use steel shot for hunting waterfowl and predator control.
What is a good turkey load?
Let’s take a look at what I consider to be the five best turkey loads on the market.
- Federal’s 3rd Degree.
- Remington Premier High Velocity Magnum Turkey Loads.
- Hevi-Shot Magnum Blend Turkey.
- Winchester Long Beard XR.
- Federal Premium Mag-Shok Heavyweight Turkey.
- Want to read more from Philip Massaro?
What can I put out to attract turkeys?
Attracting Wild Turkeys
- Beech (Beechnuts are an alternate food source when acorn supplies are low.)
- Hickory (As with beechnuts, hickory nuts are an alternate winter food source.)
- Wild cherry.
What can I feed wild turkeys in my yard?
Feeding Wild Turkeys the Natural Way
- Plant Native Oaks: Acorns are a key food source for wild turkeys.
- Plant Other Nut and Berry-Producing Plants: In addition to oak acorns, other staples of the wild turkey diet include beech nuts, pecans, hickory nuts, crabapples, and hackberries.
How can I bait turkeys?
Food. Turkeys are omnivorous and will sample a wide variety of foods. To attract turkeys to your yard, you can provide them with a large ground feeding station containing cracked corn or mixed birdseed. Turkeys will also happily clean up any spills under hanging feeders you may have up for other birds.
Can you shoot turkey with a 22?
This is why most of the states that do allow you to hunt turkey with a rifle, only allow small calibers such as a. 22 long rifle,. With a rifle, you want to aim for the neck or the head. This can be a difficult shot at long ranges so it is also effective to shoot turkeys in the lungs/liver and the heart.
Can you hunt turkey with an air rifle?
Turkey hunting with air rifles provides many of the same benefits that bows provide, particularly the ability to get in close and take toms down with a perfect head or neck shot. 25 caliber PCP air rifle will do the job when turkey hunting.
Can you hunt turkey with muzzleloader?
Yes, as long as it’s a ‘smoothbore’ muzzleloadernot a ‘rifled’ barrel muzzleloader.